Monday 10 November 2014

30 Things by 30 - Psychic Reading

While I am open to the unknown and unseen – i.e. Rolling Hills Asylum experience – I am leery of psychics. I have trouble understanding how they work. Like they are able to “read” anyone who comes to them but can’t “read” the lottery numbers or future world events. Plus it’s easy to get a read on people generally by paying attention to the small details – their demeanour, possible wedding rings, how they are dressed, etc. If you have ever seen the BBC version of Sherlock or the show Elementary they are examples of that deduction taken to the extreme. So the idea that someone can look at me and suddenly know things from the “beyond” is something I have trouble buying into. But, I have heard of some amazing psychic’s – ones who help solve crimes or mediums that have a positive impact on a person’s life so I haven’t ruled them out yet!

I have had two previous experiences with psychics – one through my mother when I was in high school and a second, when I was about 22 in Atlantic City. The first occurred when my mom went to a psychic party her friend was throwing. Mom was told that I would be upsetting the family and getting pregnant at 16 and my friend Drew’s mom was told that he would be getting a girl pregnant around that age. So here we are 13 years later, and I am happily married with NO kids and Drew is going on 11 years with his partner Matt. So yeah – that didn’t pan out the way it was “supposed” to. Everything else mom was told was wrong too. I saw my own psychic for the first time in Atlantic City along the boardwalk. Again – nothing she said was accurate either. So I was at a point where I had high doubts about the power of psychics and wasn’t interested in wasting my money. 

I remained this way for a while until Amanda kept trying to get me to see one downtown that she said was amazing. I said sure I would give her a try but I never got around to it. Then she found one in Oshawa that was “incredible” and told me about her session where the woman knew things she couldn’t possibly know. The woman knew about a guy we went to school with that had committed suicide and details of an exchange Amanda had had with him, along with a bunch of other facts about her life and even family members that Amanda had limited memories of (things her mom later confirmed).

Since this list is about being open to new things I decided to give this woman a try. When booking my appointment online I saw that she asked for the following – first and last name, phone number and email address. Right then my skepticism was back. In 2014 it is so easy to find information about people online. For example (and I did this as proof) I took Amanda’s full name and the company she worked for (it was in the email address she uses) and used Google. From LinkedIn I found out what city Amanda lived in. Then I Googled her name and that city and found what year she graduated in and the schools she went to (through old sports articles). From that I looked up the high school and found something about the death of the student from our high school. I also learned what company she worked for/her job, her age and some interests – again the sports articles. After that I was convinced that based on my Google skills I could have a new career as a psychic!

At that point I was set on not giving up anything before my session. So I used only my first name and last initial and used my mom’s email address and phone number – after checking to ensure nothing came up on them if I searched them in Google. This way no recon could be done on me before my session if indeed this woman worked that way. I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, but that was hard to do based on skepticism. 

My appointment was at 10:00am on a Wednesday and I showed up right on time. She used a room in a hair salon as her office – something that makes sense if you think of all the crazies out there. I have always wondered about how the home-based psychic’s manage with people being able to show up at all hours of the nights for emergency readings. She introduced herself and was very warm and welcoming – making me feel a little guilty for not giving her the benefit of the doubt! She asked a few questions such as my birthday (for my sign and something else astrological) and if there were any areas that I wanted to focus on. She did ask if I was in a relationship and seemed surprised when I said I was married – likely that being due to my looking a lot younger then I am. She was very through and provided a tape of the session. It was a bit strange as that she never looked at me – instead her focus was to the side of me – something she explained was part of how the process worked.

Here is a recap of some of the things I learned –

  • I am going to have three kids – possibly in the order of girl, boy and then a bit of a gap and another girl (the order can change) and the way she sees it now is that the last girl is a “take no crap from anyone” type who is into sports and often fights battles for her brother. (Chantal’s Thoughts: Interesting and something only time will tell – however I wonder if the “you are going to have kids” bit is due to my being married. It’s the natural progression. Like with Amanda who is single it was “you are going to find someone soon”. If someone in a relationship went it would likely be “you will be married soon” and for me the likely focus would then be (as it was) you are going to have kids soon. Something to ponder… ). 
  • My daughter is ready to be born –  apparently she’s been ready to come into my life for awhile and is ready as soon as we are. (Chantal’s Thoughts: again with the natural progression thing. She asked how long we had been married, so knowing it has been 4 years that is a likely conclusion to come to that soon they would be thinking about kids – so this seems to go along with deduction).
  • I am going to get a teaching job for next September, I am going to Europe in August and should be having above mentioned child in the fall. (Chantal’s Thoughts – that’s an awful lot happening in the same timeframe! First, I couldn’t travel in August if I was due in the fall. Also, who would hire a 7-8 month pregnant women for a teaching job? I think this timing is way off. Now, I was in Europe last August – so maybe she was seeing that?)

  • I need to focus on the idea of the right time. For example – no longer say there are not any teaching jobs, but rather the “right one will come at the right time”. (Chantal’s Thoughts – pretty smart concept actually. It’s about being positive and looking at things in a different way – something we all could use once in awhile!) 
  • I am going to write children’s books. My experiences as a mother and teacher will lead me down a path where I write children’s books and find some success as a writer but never give up teaching. In fact, she saw me around 50 organizing a school play. (Chantal’s Thoughts – a little creepy! I have always loved writing and that along with acting were my two unlikely career goals. So its odd that two of my interests that she had no way of knowing about were mentioned).
  • I was a famous astrologer in a previous life and died in a plane crash in a previous life – possibly during the war. (Chantal’s Thoughts: I have always been interested in astrology and have always been afraid of flying… interesting!)
  • I have a young girl who follows me around – she asked me if I knew someone who died but I don’t. But this girl is always with me – sort of like a spirit guide. (Chantal’s Thoughts: A little creepy but reassuring. It made me – and Nanny when I told her – think about Daisy and Nora, spirits of a mother and young daughter that we used to contact a lot on the Oujia board).
  • There is someone close to me that passed away recently – an older man in his 60’s looking out for me. (Chantal’s Thoughts: this is another deduction thing. We have all lost someone so it’s easy to assume that I would know someone who fits this. The first person who came to mind would be Brian’s father – but again, it’s easy to jump to that once the idea has been planted).
  • I am going to see Australia or New Zealand in a few years, and will have a child with me. (Chantal’s Thoughts: Unlikely that I would travel 20+ hours with a child, but time will tell!)
  • I have someone in my life who always brings me down and is very draining (Chantal’s Thoughts: don’t we all? But the advice she gave of looking at them with a mirror around them so the negative energy doesn’t hit me but instead is redirected back to them makes sense. She also described this person perfectly which was surprising).
  • Brian and I will eventually move out of my parents and have our own home. Brian will go back to school and finish and end in a career he wants/enjoys. (Chantal’s Thoughts: Lets hope so… also no timeline here so time will tell).
  • Money is going to come to us – possibly around $5000.00 and its through nothing bad – i.e not through a death. (Chantal’s Thoughts: That would be nice! The calendar lottery I am entered in ends soon but the daily prize is $5000.00).
  • I am going to take a trip someplace warm in the early new year and will win an all inclusive trip within the next year. (Chantal’s Thoughts: I am going away in January (that’s a little eerie) and let’s hope I win a trip!)
  • Mom, Brian and I are going on a huge health kick come January (Chantal’s Thoughts: don’t a lot of people do this? Plus, maybe mom and I – the Brian part is unlikely).
  • Someone close to me was going in for some sort of test related to their left breast and everything would be fine. (Chantal’s Thoughts: this was probably the creepiest thing as my mom was going in for her breast ultrasound due to having had cancer 5 years ago and everything is fine.)

She also gave me a “spell” of sorts to use in order to make people get along better – but a picture of them together in a jar and cover it with honey and some insights into myself – I worry too much, I am creative and should try to express that more, my father only interferes in my life because he wants the best for us, I take on other peoples problems and I need to focus on what I want and go for it. She also gave a read on Brain based on his sun sign that he is a silly/goofy guy that has layers – only some people see the real him, everyone else sees the serious façade he presents. A lot of that is all true, but is that again based on deduction? Or something she knows from her "powers"?

Overall it was an interesting experience and the woman was very likable. I found some of it interesting and a bit eerie but other parts left me skeptical. I am happy I went but still don’t know how much stock I put into psychics. I suppose time will tell – if a lot of what she says relating to my future occurs maybe it is all true. Then again, life paths can change based on every decision we made (she told me this – and so has every time travel type movie I've seen) and there is always the power of the idea. Perhaps I will someday be a writer or travel with a child to the other side of the world because the idea was put in place?  


I guess despite it all – my doubts and my beliefs – I am still unsure about it all. I am not completely open to it but also not closed either. Perhaps I will go back in another year and see what has changed. Again, only time will tell.  

No comments:

Post a Comment