Monday 20 October 2014

30 Things by 30 - Karaoke

The first 30 thing by 30 that I completed was #2 – “Sing karaoke in front of people”.  I have sung karaoke (its something I love doing despite sounding horrible) before but it has always been in front of family and friends. The prospect of getting up and doing it at a bar or restaurant was always terrifying. Friends and family are one thing, but complete strangers hearing you butcher a song? Eeek!

A few local bars do karaoke nights around here so I picked Knights Corner (the only place that did it on a Saturday) and made plans with Amanda and Amanda who were both up for it. We got there early, grabbed a good spot and spent almost 45 minutes going through the massive book choosing potential songs. Our list was very girly and probably a little predictable as we included songs that were on the “Best songs to sing at karaoke night” list that Amanda. G found on Google.

Amanda. G and I went up first and sang “Torn” by Natalie Imbruglia – and it was so much fun! The crowd wasn’t huge at that point so that likely helped our nerves, but we both had a blast. Amanda and Amanda went up next and rapped to an Eminem song “Lose Yourself” and that was awesome to see! Maybe they don’t have a career in the rap industry but it was amazing that they did that!

For the rest of the night we kept going up and pretty much became Karaoke machine hogs. The crowd started to pick up but only a few groups were singing – most were just being entertained and likely sharing many laughs at our expense. Some of the songs we did were – “Anything for Love”, “Ooops I did it again”, “Don’t Stop Believing” and “Wannabe”. There were a few others, but I can’t seem to recall them.

The main point of this 30 things list was to have some new experiences and this was definitely one. It’s something I had always been nervous to do and it took me out of my comfort zone and I did it.  I may not be the best singer but I had fun, and that is all that matters. Now that I am accomplished this, I will definitely be going back!


I would post the full video but can’t seem to get it to work, but I am working on it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment