Wednesday 16 July 2014

Recipe – Avocado Egg Salad

I hate Mayonnaise/Miracle Whip! I don’t know exactly when this hatred developed (I remember being really little and eating the tea sandwiches Nanny would make) but at some point it was something I couldn’t stand. For pretty much my whole life, I have stayed away from anything that included this – salads, dips, sandwiches, if there was mayo I wouldn’t eat it.

So up until a few years ago it had been about 20 years since I had had an egg salad sandwich.  I was never much of an egg person anyway, so I didn’t care. When mom and I discovered our favorite Buffalo teahouse, I rediscovered egg salad sandwich’s! The owner doesn’t use traditional mayonnaise in her sandwiches instead she makes her own version which isn’t creamy. If I could compare it to something it would be close to a homemade salad dressing – and is tasteless. It’s only function is to bind the egg together, all flavor comes from the egg and the spices/onions she uses.  Needless to say this was perfect for me, and quickly became my favorite sandwich.

Buffalo is a bit far to drive when I have a hankering for an egg salad sandwich so soon I was searching online for ways to make my own. I tried a few recipes that involved oils and such, and the results were disappointing. Then Pinterest led me the idea of using avocados which are a food I love! My first few attempts weren’t the greatest, but with time I managed to get it perfect!

2-4 eggs – boiled, peeled and then chopped
1 avocado – chopped or more easily – mushed
1-2 tsp – paprika
½ - 1 – onion
squirt of lemon juice (just to prevent the avocado from browning)
salt/pepper to taste


You mix all this together in a bowl, and then spread on bread, a tortilla or crackers. This can make anywhere from 2-3 sandwiches depending on how much mixture you use, and can be modified based on your individual taste – i.e – add more or less of something.  Once I added a few guacamole spices I had, and I personally thought it gave it a great kick!

No comments:

Post a Comment