Sunday 6 April 2014

Steeped Tea

About a year ago my Aunt Honey got involved with a company called “Steeped Tea”. The best way to describe it is direct person-person sales like Avon, Silpada, Epicure etc. I had actually heard of the company months before this, while watching Dragons Den with my dad. Dragons Den is the Canadian version of Shark Tank, where entrepreneurs pitch their idea/business to a bunch of investors in the hopes of securing funding. When I watched the episode I remember thinking it was the silliest idea, and was surprised when two of the Dragons went in on it.
My thinking (as an avid tea drinker) had been that there were more then enough places out there to buy tea – shops like Teopia, Teavana, and David’s Tea that specialized in unique, high quality tea, in addition to all the grocery store brands you can buy anywhere. In all honestly, I thought this company would be a bust.



So when Aunt Honey mentioned her interest I was skeptical. She smartly decided to host a party herself in order to try the products and see the sales pitch. She invited mom, Nanny and I to come, in addition to her friends and neighbors. I went into that party still skeptical, and not planning on buying anything! While my favorite tea seller Teaopia had been bought out by Teavana (a company whose teas I didn’t much like), I had doubts that this company would have anywhere near the quality/taste I was used to.

I was so wrong!


Every tea we sampled was amazing. Even their Blueberry tea I loved, and I hate both blueberries and fruit tea! I walked away from that party having bought a number of teas, and signing up for the tea-of-the-month club.

When Aunt Honey became an official consultant, I was an immediate customer. Every time I was at her house I was sampling new types of tea, and pouring over the catalogue deciding what else to buy. At current time, I have an entire basket filled to the brim with various flavors.  

Of all the teas I have bought or received from the club, there have only been two I haven’t liked. I drink Steeped Tea daily, and have gotten other people hooked on them. I find myself loving a bunch of fruit flavoured rooibos teas like Clementine Biscotti, Cherry Pie and Georgia Peach – and again, I was the tea drinker that hated anything fruit flavoured  Honestly there is a different type of tea for whatever my mood is! Steeped Tea has completely converted me to their products! I no longer order any tea from Timmy’s or Starbucks, and have given up on my previous favourite brand - Tea Forte. 

Back in October we hosted a party for Honey, where she was able to showcase the teas. Me being the planner I am, I went a bit overboard and turned it into a tea party event. But it was tons of fun! We made Mar-tea-ni’s with one of the products, a heated cider with another, as well as sampled a bunch of the other teas. I also got Uncle Beau to create this really awesome cutout of a tea pot that we had people pose in front of.



For sandwiches we served cucumber-dill-cream cheese, egg salad, salmon, roast beef, turkey, prosciutto and cream cheese pinwheels and banana peanut butter pinwheels. We also served shrimps in martini glasses, mozzarella and tomato skewers, various cheeses and fruits as well as deviled eggs. For deserts I made my famous Baileys cupcakes, as well as a bunch of products from the Steeped Tea line – after eight brownies, oatmeal chai cookies, and caramel walnut scones. (Their baked goods are just as awesome at their teas! And they also have a bath line – and the almond honey soap is the absolute best soap I have ever used!)





We played a bunch of games:
-       Identify the tea game where they had to smell various bags filled with loose tea Steeped Tea items and match them
-       Don’t say tea game where each guest was given Mardi Gras beads that they would lose if they said the word “Tea”
-       Tea-words where guests had to come up with a list of words that had the word “tea”  in it – i.e – chateau, brainteaser, etc.






We gave all the guests party favors of cookies from Monsieur Félix & Mr. Norton (an amazing cookie shop in Markham). It was a wonderful night, and a super fun way to spend an afternoon with some friends and family.

I completely recommend Steeped Tea to anyone and everyone. There are even hot chocolates mixes for non-tea drinkers!

For more information on Steeped Tea - click here!


No comments:

Post a Comment